Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Letterkenny RFC app


U18 - Match centre

Coleraine RFC
Letterkenny RFC
Sat 24 Nov 11:00 - League Full time

Great finish to a tight game gives victory for Letterkenny U18s


Epic battle goes down to the wire

Letterkenny U18s Travelled east on Saturday to take on Coleraine in what was a pulsating end to end match. The Letterkenny men got off the a great start with Keenan Barrett and Rory McGinty touching down Respectively. Coleraine did mount a comeback scoring three tries before half time. The score was 19-10 at the break and few could have imagined what would transpire in the Second half. Not Long after the break Coleraine scored once again to give them a 24-10 lead and when Letterkenny could have been forgiven for dropping there heads they kept fighting and grinding. Oran McGonagle used his boot well launching kick chase after kick chase. Rory McGintys individual brilliance was once again on show as he made break after break to get Letterkenny into scoring areas of the park, and It was following one of these breaks that the ball was sent wide for Conor Aitken to finish off in the corner. Letterkenny did not have it there own way in this period either, Coleraine didn’t rest on their laurels and kept fighting and ended up getting another try to finish off Letterkenny with 10 minutes to go, or so they thought. With Coleraine Now up 29-15 and time quickly running out Letterkenny’s pack led from the front securing the ball following the kick off, Some great work in the tight from Luke McKeever and Dean Callan set the Ball up for Oran McGonagle to Kick cross field to be once again finished off by the Mercurial Aitken. Now with Five minutes left and the score at 29-20 Letterkenny set off from deep in their own half. Good fielding from Loachlan O’Dea secured the ball. Matthew McGee made a bursting run into the Coleraine half and with support from Nathaniel Keeney and Jack Smith they secured the ball. A Break from Keenan Barrett and then Ciarnan Nicholas got the Letterkenny men to the edge of the 22. Once again the ball went wide and that man Aitken was on the end of it. Now the scoreboard read 29-25 and the referee signalled that it was the last play of the game. The Letterkenny pack got to work with phase after phase. Another Break from Rory McGinty on the right flank led to Letterkenny getting within five meters of the Coleraine try line. Another few Phases passed and within inches of the try line Letterkenny spilled the ball forward, Coleraine collected the ball and all they had to do was kick it into touch, but under enormous pressure form the Letterkenny team as a whole the kick was collected by Loachlan O’Dea who made his way into the Coleraine half. Once again Rory McGinty broke from the bottom of a ruck and scored the winning try under the sticks. It was converted by McGonagle and thus ended a game that will be talked about for years to come. The collective effort of this Letterkenny team was outstanding and they continue to get better game after game. They Play Inishowen next Saturday at 11am at Dave Gallaher park.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsors

Club sponsors